The Steampunk Bible contains an article I wrote on etching small candy tins with salt water and electricity. There was limited space in the book so we’ve provided this expanded compliment article to help you should you be interested in trying this project, enjoy! In the past, merchants used
The Steampunk Bible is out! I helped connect Jeff and S.J. with people doing cool things in the movement and I wrote what I hope is the definitive candy tin etching how-to for this book. Our fashion editor Libby Bulloff also contirbuted articles and LOTS of shiny photography, including
This is my original artwork for the Steampunk Strat – Right click and choose "Save Image As" to download a copy.
Laurence writes: Dear Sir: I have added some pictures to my flickr photoset of my new etching designs. http://www.flickr.com/photos/isitcrunchy/sets/72157603416203522/ Your site was the inspiration for this madness. Each design has to be hunted for, modified, printed, modified again, etched, modified again, and then a batch of ‘production quality’
I am just speechless. More here und here via Burnlab
Craig writes: In July ’07 I bought a 1960 Lone Star El Dorado boat which needed total restore. I found the yahoogroups Lonestar restorers club which has been so helpful. A year after hauling the boat home, it hit the water. As the boat nears it’s 50th anniversary, I
It makes me happy when people write me about things they’ve made, and when they’ve been inspired or have adopted techniques they’ve learned from the Steampunk Workshop it makes me very happy indeed! Peter wrote me a while back with some pictures of his latest project, a Jules Verne
OK, I was reckless. I went ahead and etched my iPod without doing extensive tests on electrolytic etching of stainless steel. But you see, I had a deadline – a flight to Los Angeles to be on television and I wanted the iPod done for the show. I began
UPDATE: There's some great information on this page and it's comments, but I've recently published a far more comprehensive article here: Etching Tins with Salt Water and Electricity With this project I wanted to try a number of new things: Magazine pages as cheap toner transfer media Copper electroplating Etching
After the perhaps overly optimistic attempt at electrolytic machining in Part I, I decided to try etching parts from thinner sheets of brass. Sheet with thicknesses of .010 and .015" were chosen and I used the advanced image search feature of Google to search for black and white appropriately steampunk images.